Today is my birthday. I am 34 years old. Woohoo! My plans to celebrate today are simple, just the way I like it.
- A leisurely breakfast with my girl - hello homemade zucchini bread and french-press coffee!
- Morning walk with my friend, Sara
- Reading my current book (The Angel's Game) without interruptions and without a thought to chores/errands/phone calls on my to-dolist
- Chatting with friends, calling to wish me happy birthday
- A simple spaghetti dinner with the family
- Enjoying homemade chocolate chip mint ice cream while sitting on the couch with my husband after Little B goes to bed
For sure, no one can ever say that my 34 years on this earth have been boring or that I don't jump into life wholeheartedly with gusto. Yep, when I live, I LIVE. Sometimes it is awesome in that take-your-breath-away kind of way. Sometimes it kicks the crap out of you. But that is okay. For I think George Carlin said it best when he said,
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy shit! What a ride!'
I wonder what the next year will bring. I am almost afraid to ask.
I am hoping it is filled with simple pleasures - new recipes to be discovered, lots of perfect weekends that you think about long after they are over, good books, good friends, and maybe a trip or two just to keep it interesting.
Okay, 35th year... let's see what you've got.